Pakistan GIS, commonly known as PakGIS, is the first online plate form in Pakistan aiming at creating conducive environment for research in GIS , Urban Planning and Disaster Management in Pakistan by:
- Capacity building of students, researchers and professionals in use and application of GIS/RS in urban planning and disaster management
- Voluntarily creation, development and collection of GIS/RS data for whole Pakistan
- Taking measure to ensure free availability of Pakistan related GIS data to academic researchers and professionals
PakGIS is the only online source offering free digital maps, vector datasets, satellite images and aerial photographs. From all over the country, professionals are getting their required information and precious datasets which are available no where else.
Up till June 2011, PakGIS has supported 480+ researchers, students, humanitarian workers and government officials all over the world in their task by providing Pakistan related geo-informtion.
This program has been initiated through PakGIS for the sustainability of the PakGIS forum. Curently we are having 64 active volunteers workings on the following tasks:
- The creation of a standard geo-database for the shapefiles of city maps available at PakGIS
- Development of new GIS maps of different cities in Pakistan
- Creation of a Road network dataset for complete Pakistan, we have raw data available. just need to compile in ArcGIS
- Managing visitors on the blog and ensuring in time feedback mechanism.
- Establishment of some GIS working groups of students in universities department